Call Recorder: FAQ
No phone numbers
Google has a new permission policy that denies PROCESS_OUTGOING_CALLS and READ_CALL_LOG permissions: https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/9047303?hl=en
That means that Call Recorder app will not be able to read phone number during the call. Call recording feature will still be working as before the only difference that all hidden recordings have to be renamed manually to be able to display contact information.
New version without read phone number permissions will be published on March 8. If you have auto updates enabled on the Google Play Store the app will be automatically updated. Disable auto updates if you want to keep the older version.
What can users do to help?
There are few open cases about this in Android issue tracker.
- Request: don’t harm or restrict apps that use call-log or SMS permissions (comments closed)
- [Part 2] Request: don’t harm or restrict apps that use call-log or SMS permissions
- Stop crippling software that uses call history, caller ID and SMS tracking
It is for mainly developers but any one with a Google account can comment. We have observed many users of many other affected apps do.
Unfortunately there is no good way to make the other party recorded in Android 9. Google cut off this possibility from Android 6, actually. But we found workarounds for Android 6,7,8.
And now with Android 9 it’s not possible to overcome this issue.
The only way to record the other party is to turn the Speaker On during the conversation. So it will record via the Mic.
There is already created issue in Google Issue Tracker with requirement to add support for call recording feature into Android: Call recorder required. And we hope it will be added to the future Android versions.
License key does not work.
If you can’t update to premium version with license key app, please, do following:
1. Uninstall the Call Recorder Key and install it again from Google Play Store. You should not pay again for this.
2. Run the Call Recorder Key app.
3. Then open Call Recorder free/unlimited version and go to “Upgrade to Premium” menu.
4. Then tap on “USE KEY”. After that it will have to be updated to Premium.
Call Recorder records calls randomly or does not record any.
Android 6.0 and later versions have a Battery Optimization function. To decrease battery consumption system can add the CallRecorder into the deactivated state and it looks like app records randomly or does not record any calls.
The problem can be resolved by changing Battery Optimization related settings in your phone. The location of the Settings depends on the phone Model:
Common Android phones:
- Go to Phone Settings > Battery > Battery Optimization screen, set Call Recorder to “Not Optimized”.
Huawei phones it can be:
- Go to Phone Settings > Power Saving > Protected Apps screen, set Call Recorder to “Protected App”.
- or Go to Phone Settings > Phone Manager > Protected Apps screen, set Call Recorder to “Protected App”.
- or Go to Phone Settings > Apps > Advanced > Ignore Optimizations screen, set Call Recorder to “Ignore Optimizations”.
- Go to Phone Settings > Power > Battery Optimization screen, set Call Recorder to “Don’t Optimize”.
- Go to Phone Settings > Smart Manager > Battery > App Optimization > Detail screen, set Call Recorder to “Disabled”.
Also some third-party apps are very powerful that can prevent other apps working, such as Clean Master, App Manager, Task Manager, Battery Optimizer, Greenify, Privacy Guard, etc. These apps prevent Call Recorder working, as a result some of your calls will not be recorded. Please don’t allow them block Call Recorder doing it’s job, usually you need to add Call Recorder into their “White List” or uninstall.
Call Recorder does not record long calls
It is usually happened for the devices with low RAM memory where the Android system kills recording service because of not enough memory.
Go to the app Settings -> Notifications and enable -> Recording notification (show notification during recording) = ON
Recording service now should not be killed by the system.
The other reason can be not enough storage memory in the phone.
Where are recordings stored?
There are 2 options where recorded files can be stored and depending on app Storage settings “Use removable storage”. But you always can check the exact path by selecting context menu on recording in the right top corner and select “Info”.
How can I play back recorded files on my PC?
There is a codec library that can be installed to be able to play recordings in you PC or laptop. Please, download and install it.
“I lost my phone” or “Phone had a factory reset” or “I deleted some recordings”. Is it possible to restore the recordings?
All the recordings are stored only in the phone. There is not any cloud storage or similar. So if recoding was deleted it can’t be restored by us.
How can I delete the recordings?
Please, tap on contact image to select the recordings and then tap on delete icon in top bar. During next 10 sec you are able to UNDO deleting. After that they will be deleted permanently and it will not be possible to restore them via the application.